Your Interview Fang Hu
Introduce yourself (name, company, position, country) and tell us how you got into lighting design (including education/qualifications).
My name is Hu Fang, I am the founder of Puri Lighting Design. Now there are 12 employees in my company, among whom 8 are female. I entered the lighting design company in 2005 and became a lighting designer. Currently I am a senior lighting designer with Chinese qualification certification.
Tell us about your work – is there a specific type of project you like to work on or an area you specialise in and why?
We mainly provide lighting designs for real estate developers, and the project types are mainly shopping malls, the show field, offices and hotels. I like all these types of projects, each with its own features and challenges.
What project are you most proud of and why?
At present, my favorite project is our show room, which was completed in 2019. This project won us the Dutch FRAME Best Light Election Award, the American IDA Interior Lighting Award, the American LIT Lighting Design Award, and the China Lighting Design Award. This project combines cool interior decoration materials to create a new visual feast.
What is the biggest challenge that you have overcome in your career?
As lighting designers, when communicating with architects and interior designers, we are often in a weak position. It is difficult for us to stick to our designs in front of them, and it is often difficult to convince them to accept our designs. While fully understanding the architecture, we need to propose a plan to promote its quality, so as to equip ourselves with strong communication skills.
How does light inspire you?
Light is like music, there are ups and downs, strengths and weaknesses. Light can well control the atmosphere of the scene, thereby affecting people's emotions. I enjoy listening to the appropriate music in the appropriate scene, which makes me more creative.
What is your message for other Women In Lighting?
Women are sensitive by nature, and we can take advantage of this to feel the architecture and space, as well as the emotions people need in this scene. I think women are very suitable for this job.
- Asian Lighting Design Awards Excellence Award in 2015
- Excellence Award of Outdoor Lighting Design of China Lighting Engineering Awards in 2015
- Second Prize, Interior Lighting Design of China Lighting Engineering Awards in 2015
- Second Prize, Outdoor Lighting Design of China Lighting Engineering Awards in 2017
- First Prize, Interior Lighting Design of China Lighting Engineering Awards in 2017
- National Outstanding Lighting Designer of the Year in 2017-2018
- First & Second Prize, Interior Lighting Design of China Lighting Engineering Awards in 2019
- Winner, Arts Lighting Category & Environmental Lighting Category at the LIT Awards in 2019
- Gold Winner, Interior Lighting Design at the IDA Design Awards in 2019
- Best Use of Light, Dutch FRAME Awards in 2020
“Women are sensitive by nature, and we can take advantage of this to feel the architecture and space, as well as the emotions people need in this scene. I think women are very suitable for this job.”